SYRIAN ARMY ANNOUNCES 24-HOUR CEASE-FIRE IN EASTERN GHOUTA’S HARASTA CITY
The Syrian army, on Saturday, declared a unilateral 24-hour cease-fire, in the rebel-held city of Harasta, in the capital Damascus’ Eastern Ghouta area, the War Media, the media wing of the Syrian army, said, in a statement.
The unexpected cease-fire went into effect at 3.00 pm local time, and will last for 24 hours, said the statement.
It added that, the cease-fire aimed at letting civilians evacuate from areas in Eastern Ghouta, through a recently-established humanitarian corridor, near the Water Resources area in Harasta.
Earlier, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said as many as 50,000 people have left rebel-held areas in Eastern Ghouta, within the past 72 hours.
The civilians evacuated from areas under the control of the Failaq al-Rahman rebel group, south-west of Eastern Ghouta towards government-controlled areas, which was captured recently by the army.
The UN humanitarian agencies have sounded the alarm about the worsening humanitarian situation for 400,000 people in that region, where activists said, around 1,000 people have been killed, since late last month, by the heavy bombardment and military showdown in areas of Eastern Ghouta.
Source: NAM News Networkhttps://syrianewsgazette.com/syrian-army-announces-24-hour-cease-fire-in-eastern-ghoutas-harasta-city/National news