» » UN: CLOSE TO 7,000 SHIITES EVACUATED FROM TWO SYRIAN TOWNS AFTER ENDURING NEARLY 3-YEAR SIEGE

UN: CLOSE TO 7,000 SHIITES EVACUATED FROM TWO SYRIAN TOWNS AFTER ENDURING NEARLY 3-YEAR SIEGE

DAMASCUS, After close to three years of siege, 6,900 women, children and men were finally able to leave the Syrian towns of Foah and Kafraya over the past few days, following a local agreement between parties to the conflict.

The two largely Shia pro-Government towns, in the mostly rebel-held Idlib Governorate, had been besieged by non-state armed groups since October 2015, and people trapped there have been in dire need of life-saving assistance, including food and medical care.

The United Nations has not been able to deliver humanitarian assistance to the towns since September 2017.

The civilians were escorted out by the Syrian Arab Red Crescent to the Al-Eiss crossing in southern rural Aleppo Governorate. In addition, 17 persons in need of urgent medical care, were brought to hospitals in Aleppo city, accompanied by 21 family members.

On Monday, it was reported by the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) that another 430 conflict-affected Syrians were evacuated from Dara’a Governorate to northern Syria, also following an agreement by parties to the conflict. Humanitarian agencies on the ground are responding to the best of their capacities to the most urgent needs in the various reception areas.

The United Nations was not party to the negotiated agreement or its implementation, but stands ready to provide all people in need with humanitarian assistance wherever they are, said UN Deputy Spokesperson Farhan Haq during a press briefing at UN Headquarters on Thursday, as he stressed that any evacuation of civilians should be safe, voluntary, well-informed and to a place of their own choosing and that all people displaced through such agreements must retain the right of return as soon as the situation allows.

As needs assessments are ongoing in areas where control has recently changed, humanitarian organisations have started delivering basic help. This week, convoys brought life-saving aid to 19,500 people in dire need in and around Beit Jin (Rural Damascus governorate), to 15,000 people in Nassib and Um Elmayathen (Dara’a governorate), and to 89,000 people in the Al-Houla area (Homs governorate) and the Harbnafseh area (Hama governorate).

For Beit Jin, this was the first time that aid reached the formerly besieged area since 2013.

The humanitarian crisis in Syria, now in its eighth year, continues to be characterized by unparalleled suffering, destruction and disregard for human life.

Some 13.1 million people require critical aid, including close to 3 million people trapped in besieged and hard-to-reach areas. Despite enormous challenges, the UN and its humanitarian partners continue to deliver life-saving assistance and support to millions of people across the country every month.

Source: Nam news Network

syrianewsgazette.comGovernment
DAMASCUS, After close to three years of siege, 6,900 women, children and men were finally able to leave the Syrian towns of Foah and Kafraya over the past few days, following a local agreement between parties to the conflict. The two largely Shia pro-Government towns, in the mostly rebel-held...

Related Categorized Posts

Syrian-German talks on overcoming obstacles and bolstering cooperation
Damascus, The Arab and Foreign Affairs Committee at the People's Assembly on Wednesday discussed with German parliamentary delegation means to overcome existing obstacles and bolster cooperation between Syria and...

Turkey, Russia Hold 8th Round of Joint Patrol in Northern Syria
ANKARA, Turkish and Russian troops held the eighth round of joint patrol in northern Syria, under a deal reached last month, for withdrawal of Syrian Kurdish fighters, said Turkey's...

Next Round of Multi-National Talks On Syria Expected In Early Dec: Kazakh Fm
NUR-SULTAN, Kazakhstan, The next round of multi-national talks on Syria, can be held here in early Dec, Kazakh Foreign Minister, Mukhtar Tleuberdi, told Kazakh side was expecting official...

Pompeo Heads to NATO Ministerial Meeting with Counterterrorism Topping Agenda
STATE DEPARTMENT - The United States and NATO are pledging unity in tackling challenges, including fighting terrorism, cyber threats and boosting energy security, seven decades after the establishment of...

Germany’s Green party calls for imposing sanctions on Turkish regime due to its aggression on Syria
Berlin, Germany's Green party renewed the call on German Chancellor Angela Merkel to impose sanctions on the regime of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and to end the refugee...

UN: CLOSE TO 7,000 SHIITES EVACUATED FROM TWO SYRIAN TOWNS AFTER ENDURING NEARLY 3-YEAR SIEGE

DAMASCUS, After close to three years of siege, 6,900 women, children and men were finally able to leave the Syrian towns of Foah and Kafraya over the past few days, following a local agreement between parties to the conflict.

The two largely Shia pro-Government towns, in the mostly rebel-held Idlib Governorate, had been besieged by non-state armed groups since October 2015, and people trapped there have been in dire need of life-saving assistance, including food and medical care.

The United Nations has not been able to deliver humanitarian assistance to the towns since September 2017.

The civilians were escorted out by the Syrian Arab Red Crescent to the Al-Eiss crossing in southern rural Aleppo Governorate. In addition, 17 persons in need of urgent medical care, were brought to hospitals in Aleppo city, accompanied by 21 family members.

On Monday, it was reported by the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) that another 430 conflict-affected Syrians were evacuated from Dara’a Governorate to northern Syria, also following an agreement by parties to the conflict. Humanitarian agencies on the ground are responding to the best of their capacities to the most urgent needs in the various reception areas.

The United Nations was not party to the negotiated agreement or its implementation, but stands ready to provide all people in need with humanitarian assistance wherever they are, said UN Deputy Spokesperson Farhan Haq during a press briefing at UN Headquarters on Thursday, as he stressed that any evacuation of civilians should be safe, voluntary, well-informed and to a place of their own choosing and that all people displaced through such agreements must retain the right of return as soon as the situation allows.

As needs assessments are ongoing in areas where control has recently changed, humanitarian organisations have started delivering basic help. This week, convoys brought life-saving aid to 19,500 people in dire need in and around Beit Jin (Rural Damascus governorate), to 15,000 people in Nassib and Um Elmayathen (Dara’a governorate), and to 89,000 people in the Al-Houla area (Homs governorate) and the Harbnafseh area (Hama governorate).

For Beit Jin, this was the first time that aid reached the formerly besieged area since 2013.

The humanitarian crisis in Syria, now in its eighth year, continues to be characterized by unparalleled suffering, destruction and disregard for human life.

Some 13.1 million people require critical aid, including close to 3 million people trapped in besieged and hard-to-reach areas. Despite enormous challenges, the UN and its humanitarian partners continue to deliver life-saving assistance and support to millions of people across the country every month.

Source: Nam news Network

syrianewsgazette.comGovernment
DAMASCUS, After close to three years of siege, 6,900 women, children and men were finally able to leave the Syrian towns of Foah and Kafraya over the past few days, following a local agreement between parties to the conflict. The two largely Shia pro-Government towns, in the mostly rebel-held...

Related Categorized Posts

Syrian-German talks on overcoming obstacles and bolstering cooperation
Damascus, The Arab and Foreign Affairs Committee at the People's Assembly on Wednesday discussed with German parliamentary delegation means to overcome existing obstacles and bolster cooperation between Syria and...

Turkey, Russia Hold 8th Round of Joint Patrol in Northern Syria
ANKARA, Turkish and Russian troops held the eighth round of joint patrol in northern Syria, under a deal reached last month, for withdrawal of Syrian Kurdish fighters, said Turkey's...

Next Round of Multi-National Talks On Syria Expected In Early Dec: Kazakh Fm
NUR-SULTAN, Kazakhstan, The next round of multi-national talks on Syria, can be held here in early Dec, Kazakh Foreign Minister, Mukhtar Tleuberdi, told Kazakh side was expecting official...

Pompeo Heads to NATO Ministerial Meeting with Counterterrorism Topping Agenda
STATE DEPARTMENT - The United States and NATO are pledging unity in tackling challenges, including fighting terrorism, cyber threats and boosting energy security, seven decades after the establishment of...

Germany’s Green party calls for imposing sanctions on Turkish regime due to its aggression on Syria
Berlin, Germany's Green party renewed the call on German Chancellor Angela Merkel to impose sanctions on the regime of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and to end the refugee...

UN: CLOSE TO 7,000 SHIITES EVACUATED FROM TWO SYRIAN TOWNS AFTER ENDURING NEARLY 3-YEAR SIEGE

DAMASCUS, After close to three years of siege, 6,900 women, children and men were finally able to leave the Syrian towns of Foah and Kafraya over the past few days, following a local agreement between parties to the conflict.

The two largely Shia pro-Government towns, in the mostly rebel-held Idlib Governorate, had been besieged by non-state armed groups since October 2015, and people trapped there have been in dire need of life-saving assistance, including food and medical care.

The United Nations has not been able to deliver humanitarian assistance to the towns since September 2017.

The civilians were escorted out by the Syrian Arab Red Crescent to the Al-Eiss crossing in southern rural Aleppo Governorate. In addition, 17 persons in need of urgent medical care, were brought to hospitals in Aleppo city, accompanied by 21 family members.

On Monday, it was reported by the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) that another 430 conflict-affected Syrians were evacuated from Dara’a Governorate to northern Syria, also following an agreement by parties to the conflict. Humanitarian agencies on the ground are responding to the best of their capacities to the most urgent needs in the various reception areas.

The United Nations was not party to the negotiated agreement or its implementation, but stands ready to provide all people in need with humanitarian assistance wherever they are, said UN Deputy Spokesperson Farhan Haq during a press briefing at UN Headquarters on Thursday, as he stressed that any evacuation of civilians should be safe, voluntary, well-informed and to a place of their own choosing and that all people displaced through such agreements must retain the right of return as soon as the situation allows.

As needs assessments are ongoing in areas where control has recently changed, humanitarian organisations have started delivering basic help. This week, convoys brought life-saving aid to 19,500 people in dire need in and around Beit Jin (Rural Damascus governorate), to 15,000 people in Nassib and Um Elmayathen (Dara’a governorate), and to 89,000 people in the Al-Houla area (Homs governorate) and the Harbnafseh area (Hama governorate).

For Beit Jin, this was the first time that aid reached the formerly besieged area since 2013.

The humanitarian crisis in Syria, now in its eighth year, continues to be characterized by unparalleled suffering, destruction and disregard for human life.

Some 13.1 million people require critical aid, including close to 3 million people trapped in besieged and hard-to-reach areas. Despite enormous challenges, the UN and its humanitarian partners continue to deliver life-saving assistance and support to millions of people across the country every month.

Source: Nam news Network

syrianewsgazette.comGovernment
DAMASCUS, After close to three years of siege, 6,900 women, children and men were finally able to leave the Syrian towns of Foah and Kafraya over the past few days, following a local agreement between parties to the conflict. The two largely Shia pro-Government towns, in the mostly rebel-held...

Related Categorized Posts

Syrian-German talks on overcoming obstacles and bolstering cooperation
Damascus, The Arab and Foreign Affairs Committee at the People's Assembly on Wednesday discussed with German parliamentary delegation means to overcome existing obstacles and bolster cooperation between Syria and...

Turkey, Russia Hold 8th Round of Joint Patrol in Northern Syria
ANKARA, Turkish and Russian troops held the eighth round of joint patrol in northern Syria, under a deal reached last month, for withdrawal of Syrian Kurdish fighters, said Turkey's...

Next Round of Multi-National Talks On Syria Expected In Early Dec: Kazakh Fm
NUR-SULTAN, Kazakhstan, The next round of multi-national talks on Syria, can be held here in early Dec, Kazakh Foreign Minister, Mukhtar Tleuberdi, told Kazakh side was expecting official...

Pompeo Heads to NATO Ministerial Meeting with Counterterrorism Topping Agenda
STATE DEPARTMENT - The United States and NATO are pledging unity in tackling challenges, including fighting terrorism, cyber threats and boosting energy security, seven decades after the establishment of...

Germany’s Green party calls for imposing sanctions on Turkish regime due to its aggression on Syria
Berlin, Germany's Green party renewed the call on German Chancellor Angela Merkel to impose sanctions on the regime of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and to end the refugee...